- This event has passed.
Weekend Wanderings at Monte Sano’s Three Caves
October 22 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Weekend Wanderings, our newest program for young hikers (ages 6-12 years with accompanying adult), will highlight a different Land Trust preserve each month, providing participants with a variety of opportunities to explore, develop some new skills, and learn about the natural environment.
October’s Wander will be at Monte Sano Nature Preserve exploring the area around the Three Caves. This man-made feature, an abandoned limestone quarry, is not typically open to the public, so this is a treat for those who have never been down into the “bowl.” We’ll walk down and look around a bit before walking the Three Caves Loop for a view from above.
- When: Hosted monthly. Check our event calendar for upcoming dates. Registration opens at the beginning of the month.
- Cost: FREE but membership to support our mission is very much appreciated.
- Reservations: Registration required. Space is limited. Please register using parent/guardian’s information and select spots for the number of participating children only. Adults do not need to reserve a spot for themselves. There are no waitlists for these events. If spaces become available, registration will reopen so please check back if you’re interested in attending.
- Ages: 6-12 years. An accompanying adult is required for all programs.
- What to Bring: We recommend closed toe shoes, long pants, bug spray, sunscreen as appropriate, and water.
- Time: Starting times and program duration will vary, depending on the event.
Event Leader: Tim Gels, Education Director, Land Trust of North Alabama
Location: Monte Sano Nature Preserve (Three Caves Trailhead) – 901 Kennamer Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
In the event this hike has to be canceled due to weather or trail conditions, we will send a notification to the email address you use to register.