Creating a safe pedestrian and bike route along Bankhead Parkway.
Your support will create a paved, multi-use greenway following a segment of the historic Toll Gate Road on Monte Sano. The Greenway will extend from the Land Trust of North Alabama’s Bankhead Trailhead parking lot through Monte Sano Nature Preserve to the old Bankhead Parkway within Monte Sano State Park. In addition to providing pedestrians and bikers a safe, scenic route to travel on the western slope of the mountain, this new path will offer access to nature for people with limited mobility who cannot utilize our natural trails.
The City of Huntsville has pledged to match up to $500,000 in donations for this project. But we must raise $500,000 by August 2024 to make this project a reality.
A SAFE SCENIC ROUTE ON MONTE SANO
Your support will give our community a safe and scenic route on the western slope of Monte Sano.
- expand outdoor access for hikers, walkers, cyclists, and those with mobility limitations
- provide cyclists a safe route on the mountain
- improve off-road parking for safer traffic flow
- create education opportunities that highlight the history and ecology of the area
- establish a seamless, paved connection from Bankhead Trailhead to Monte Sano State Park